(As written in 1797*)
GEORGIA, one of the United States of N. America, is situated between 30.37 and
35. N. lat. and between 80.8 and 91.8 W. long. being about 600 miles in length,
and on an average 250 in breadth. It is bounded E. by the Atlantic Ocean; S. by
E. and W. Florlda; W. by the river Mississippi; N. E. and N. by S. Carolina and
the Tennessee State. It was formerly divided into parishes, afterwards into 3
districts, but lately into two districts, viz. Upper and Lower, which are
subdivided into 24 counties as follow: In the Lower district are Camden, Glynn, Liberty, Chatham, Bryan, McIntosh, Effingham, Scriven, and
Burke. The counties in the Upper DistriCt are Montgomery, Washington, Hancock,
Greene, Franklin, Oglethorpe, Elbert, Wilkes, Lincoln, Warren, Jefferson,
Jackson, Bullock, Columbia and Richmond. The principal towns are Augusta,
formerly the seat of government, Savannah, the former capital of the state,
Sunbury, Brunswick, Frederica, Washington, and Louisville, which is the
metropolis of the state; and here are deposited the records of the state, such
of them as a late legislature did not order to be publicly burnt.
The principal rivers which water Georgia are, Savannah, which separates it from
S. Carolina; Ogeechee river, which runs parallel with the former, and Alatamaha,
which runs parallel with the others. Besides these and their numerous branches,
there is Turtle river, Little Sitilla, Great Sitilla, Crooked R. and St. Mary's,
which forms a part of the southern boundary of the United States. The rivers in
the middle and western parts will be noticed under the head of Georgia Western
Territory. All these are stocked with a great variety of fish, as rock,
mullet, whiting, shad, trout, more....
*Transcribed from the American Gazetteer, Jedidiah Morse, 1797
Georgia Description 1854
GEORGIA - one of the original states of the United States of North America,
is bounded on the N. by Tennessee and North Carolina; E. by South Carolina,
(from which it is separated by the Savannah river,) and by the Atlantic
ocean; S. by Florida, and W. by Florida and Alabama, from which it is partly
separated by the Chattahochee river. Georgia lies between 30° 21' 39" and 35°
N. lat., and between 81° and 85° 53' 38" W. lon., being about 300 miles in
length from N. to S., and 256 in its greatest breadth from E. to W.,
including 58,000 square miles, or 37,120,000 acres, of which only 6,378,479
are improved, showing that this already great and flourishing state is but in
the commencement of developing leer resources and wealth.
Baldwin, Thomas and J. Thomas, M.D. New and Complete Gazetteer of the United
States. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Grambo, & Co., 1854
Transcribed by Kristie Setser.
Georgia Day (Birthday of Georgia) is Febuary 12.
Fort King George was the first English settlement in Georgia. Built in 1721 and abandoned in 1732. It was located a mile east of present-day Darien, in Coastal Georgia.
Although King George II signed Georgia's charter on April 21, 1732, it was not witnessed at Westminster "by Writ of Privy Seal"
until June 9, 1732. Georgia, named
for George II, was now a Royal Colony.
The new legislative assembly on March 15, 1758 divided the colony into eight Parishes: Christ Church, Saint Matthews, St. George, St. Philip, St. John, St. Andrew, and St. James.
In 1765, Georgia's colonial assembly added four more parishes by dividing the land south of the Altamaha River. They were St. David, St. Patrick, St. Thomas, and St. Mary.
Georgia designated the Cherokee rose (Rosa laevigata) as the official state floral emblem in 1916 (with support from the Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs). The name "Cherokee Rose" is derived from the Cherokee Indians who widely distributed the plant.
The flower is waxy white with a large golden center surrounded by vivid green leaves. The Cherokee rose is a hardy plant with a profusion of thorns, blooming in early spring (with sometimes a second flowering in the fall under favorable conditions).
For The Legend of the Cherokee Rose, Georgia's State Flower click here.
Georgia State Trivia
Early Morgan County Tax Lists - 1807
Morgan County Tax Digests - 1809 to 1866
Historic Rural Churches of Georgia
"History doesn’t last forever, help us protect our rural heritage."
We Have Won
and those we have given
Georgia Golden Peach Award
Please Visit Our Neighbors
Thank you for visiting. Add us to your favorites and check back often.
This site is a member of The American History and Genealogy Project
(AHGP), an unincorporated
not-for-profit network of independent sites devoted to History & Genealogy,
and covering North American Countries and Territories. For more information
about our group, including how you can join us, please see our
Webspace for this site is generously provided by
Coordinator (SC) C. W. Barnum
Assistant SC Ed Gordon
Assistant SC Paula Franklin
This page was last updated Friday, 09-May-2014 09:32:02 EDT.
Copyright © 2002~2005 by Doris Robbins ~
Copyright © 2005~2008 by Donna Parrish
Copyright © 2008~2010 by
Doris Estes Robbins ~
Copyright © 2010~2011 by Kim Gordon
Copyright © 2011~2014 by Doris Estes Robbins ~
Copyright © 2014~2014 by
C. W. Barnum